Since 1980 the Friends of Fort Crailo have been dedicated to supporting the ongoing mission of Crailo State Historic Site. Crailo originally referred to the farm in Green Bush that belonged to the Van Rensselaer family, who owned more than 700,000 acres of land in the colony of New Netherland starting in 1630. The term later came to refer to the building built by Hendrick Van Rensselaer, grandson of Killian Van Rensselaer in 1707.
Today that building still stands, as Crailo State Historic Site – the museum of the colonial Dutch in the Hudson River Valley with a collection of thousands of artifacts from Dutch sites ranging from Fort Orange, in present day Albany, to far flung tenant farms.
The Friends of Fort Crailo offer support to the site in the form on monetary contributions, volunteer time, and by sponsoring programs, activities, research, and exhibits to educate the public about the site and early Dutch colonists.
For more information about Crailo Historic Site, please visit it’s New York State Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation site.